Patricia Massey Welter
Co-Owner (with husband Robert) / Director of Pilates Instruction at Suncoast Pilates, Balanced Body Master Instructor, Nationally Certified Pilates Teacher (NCPT), Certified GYROTONIC® Instructor. Patricia is a “Second Generation Pilates Teacher” and “Lolita San Miguel Pilates Master™”. Patricia completed the Pilates Master Mentor Program with Pilates Elder Lolita San Miguel, the only living “First Generation” Pilates teacher who worked with and was certified to teach Pilates by Joseph Pilates himself. She is both a Balanced Body Pilates Master Instructor and CoreAlign Master Instructor. As Suncoast Pilates is an approved Balanced Body Pilates Instructor Training Facility and Balanced Body Host site, Patricia teaches monthly Pilates instructor training and CoreAlign instructor training modules and workshops. Patricia is one of the area’s most experienced and highly Certified Pilates instructors. She was a presenter at the International Pilates Day Memorial & Convention in Monchengladbach, Germany, the birthplace of Joseph Pilates, held May 6 – 9, 2011, and currently presents and teaches nationally and internationally.
As a long time insulin dependent diabetic, Patricia created and teaches specialty Pilates instructor training course Diatrology™, which discusses both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes, the physiological effects and complications of diabetes, how exercise helps to improve and control blood sugar, and teaches instructors how to train clients with diabetes.
Patricia, who has been a trainer in the area for twenty nine years, and has owned an area studio for over twenty-four years, brings a wealth of training and experience in Pilates as well as other exercise disciplines and holds numerous certifications in Pilates, personal training, fitness, post-rehab fitness and aquatics. Her many certifications, qualifications and trainings are listed below. Patricia has worked with clientele ranging from individuals new to Pilates to teenagers to post-rehab to professional athletes, including National League Pro Baseball Players, PGA Pro Golfers, Triathletes, Pro Skaters, runners and tennis players.
Patricia’s Primary Pilates Training Certifications
- Patricia has been awarded the designation of “Second Generation Pilates Teacher” and “Lolita San Miguel Pilates Master™” after working as a seasoned Pilates instructor in a two year master mentor program directly with Ms. San Miguel
- Nationally Certified Pilates Teacher (NCPT)
- Second Generation Pilates Teacher
- Lolita San Miguel Pilates Master™
- Balanced Body Pilates Master Instructor
- Polestar Pilates
Patricia’s CoreAlign Certification
- Balanced Body CoreAlign Master Instructor
- Balanced Body CoreAlign Instructor (trained under Jonathan Hoffman (developer of the CoreAlign), Nora St. John, Joy Puleo and Portia Page)
Patricia’s Continuing Education Pilates Training
- Worked extensively with Pilates Elder Lolita San Miguel, completing Lolita’s Pilates Master Mentor Program and has continued to studio with Lolita since
- Studied with Balanced Body Education Program Director Nora St. John
- Completed Fletcher Pilates Guillotine workshop with Kyria Sabin Waugaman
- Patricia has worked extensively with Siri Dharma Galliano, Pilates trainer to the stars Uma Thurman, Carrie Ann Moss (for Matrix 2 and 3), Jessica Lange, Sting, Madonna and many others. Patricia has also completed numerous workshops with Siri
- Stott Pilates (with Moira Merrithew, PJ O’Clair, John Garey, Stefania Della Pia)
- Polestar Pilates (with Polestar founder President Brent Anderson PhD, PT, OCS)
- PHI Pilates (with founder Christine Romani-Ruby)
- Patricia has over twenty nine years of Pilates continuing education credits, including workshops with renown Pilates Teachers listed above as well as Mari Windsor, Alan Herdman, Julian Littleford, Kevin Bowen and Kathy Corey
- Completed CoreAlign® Instructor Training Levels I, II and III with developer Jonathan Hoffman, Nora St. John and Portia Page, and joined CoreAlign Faculty in January 2016
- Fitness Practitioner and Personal Trainer
- Group Exercise Instructor
- Weight Training Certified
- Post Rehab Fitness Trainer
OTHER Past Certifications
- Arthritis Foundation Certified Aquatics & P.A.C.E. Instructor
- White Belt NIA Instructor (hosted and completed NIA teacher Intensive at her studio in 2000 with NIA creators Debbie and Carlos Rosas)
- PMA (Pilates Method Alliance)
- Board Member of The Pilates Initiative
Former Wellness & Fitness Director
- Total Wellness & Rehab
Former Fitness Director
- Palm Harbor Medical Associates
- Arthritis Foundation Board Member
- Arthritis Foundation Regional Program Director
Mentor on www.TheWeightLossNation.com
Featured on The Weight Loss Nation Podcast representing Pilates exercise
Featured in National Fitness Publications
- Quoted in March / April 2020 issue of Pilates Style magazine article “Beyond Pilates” in the Pro Zone Tips for Teachers
- Quoted in the November / December 2019 issue of Pilates Style magazine article “Dealing with the New Year’s Eve Resolution Crowd”
- Quoted in the September / October 2018 issue of Pilates Style magazine
- Featured in the IDEA Member Spotlight in the July / August 2017 issue of IDEA Fitness Journal
- Quoted in the April 2017 issue of IDEA Fitness Journal on “Tricks of the Trade”
- Quoted in the February 2017 issue of IDEA Fitness Journal on “Tricks of the Trade”
- Quoted in the January / February 2016 issue of Pilates Style Magazine
- Featured in February 2014 Pilates Style Magazine Success Story article “The Way, Way Back”
- Quoted in the October 2014 IDEA Fitness Journal on “Tricks of the Trade”
- Quoted in the April 2014 IDEA Fitness Journal on “Personal Training for Tennis Players”
- Quoted in the March 2013 IDEA Fitness Journal on “Tricks of the Trade”
- Quoted in the February 2012 IDEA Fitness Journal on “Tricks of the Trade”
- Quoted in the November / December 2011 IDEA Fitness Journal on “Tricks of the Trade”
- Quoted in the November / December 2010 IDEA Fitness Journal on “Tricks of the Trade”.
- Quoted in the March 2009 IDEA Fitness Journal on “Tricks of the Trade”.
- Quoted in the March 2008 IDEA Fitness Journal on “Tricks of the Trade”.
- Quoted in the November 2007 IDEA Fitness Journal on “Tricks of the Trade”.
- Quoted in the October 2007 IDEA Fitness Journal on “Partners and Small Groups in Mind-Body Training”.
- Quoted in the July / August 2007 IDEA Fitness Journal on “Conquering a Negative Mood”.
- Quoted in “Your Body” online article on working with a partner in January 2006.
- Interviewed and was featured Personal Trainer in March 2005 IDEA Fitness Journal in the article “Empathizing with Client Limitations”.
- Featured in the November 2005 IDEA Fitness Journal under the personal trainers who “Inspire the World to Fitness” section.
- Interviewed for “Your Body” June 2005 online article – “Watch Your Thigh’s Fives”.
- Wrote monthly article for Panache Vue’, a Tampa Bay area magazine, for the several years
Television and Radio Segments
- Featured in Channel 8 television exercise & fitness segments with Irene Maher and Yolanda Fernandez as well as on past Channel 8 Health & Fitness Fest television segments
- Featured on “That Business Show with Jamie and Kelly” 1250WHNZ AM radio on November 29, 2016